The Best Witch Hat Tutorial and Theme Ideas with Free Printable Links
How to Make the Best Witch Hat
It’s too easy to set your home up for Halloween success with these customizable witch hat decorations. You can create some fun and classic witch hats, or get your modern groove and channel your favorite Once Upon a Time witches. You can channel your “Practical Magic” and create a witch hat with rosemary and lavender (for luck), or you can make your creativity fly (Wingardium Leviosa) and design a sorting hat. Now I want to head to the couch with my Pumpkin Hot Chocolate, and dig into my movie collection. The point is that possibilities are endless.Make your own stylish Witch hats with this tutorial Click To Tweet
These are inexpensive, especially since you can use supplies that we all have hidden in our closets. These super simple hats are for display—no need to fit them or over think this. Just have a great time! This is my first Halloween project post, so let me know what you think in the comments below.
The Best Witch Hat Complete Tutorial
Snag the simple template for a basic witch hat here, and print it in a variety of sizes. I made mine out of leftover poster-board and cardstock. Here’s the steps—although I doubt any of you crafty chicks need them.
- Print the template and trace your hat pieces on cardstock or poster-board.
- Cut small ½ inch slits all along the bottom of the cone hat section as shown on the template.
- Roll piece #1 into a cone shape and tape. Then fold each of the sections created by your slits up, so that you can secure the cone shape to the middle of the circle that will be the witch hat brim.
- Secure the cone to the witch hat brim with glue. This is the structure on which you will build your awesome hat design.
- Decorate! Pull out all those craft supplies you’ve been stocking, and all your scraps. Felt, scrapbook paper, fabrics, feathers, silk flowers, and ribbon. Now get busy, and tell me how much fun it was! This was def the most fun I’ve ever had while watching “Practical Magic.” If you want to copy the cute owl printable, download it here courtesy of Glued to My Crafts.com
- Scroll down for lots of decorating ideas including links to great printables in case you want to create a theme display of witch hats. And please share this idea on Pinterest if you liked it!
Craft your Own Witch Hat: Style Ideas based on Movies!
Check out some ideas for theme witch hats and displays below.
You can channel Sally and Gillian if you like, but I’m inspired by the Aunts and their garden. Big juicy red roses, frogs, and sinfully scented herbs. Use up your silk flowers and greenery, and those plastic bugs. Use this as an excuse to dry some lavender for your garden as a faint reminder of summer and a promise of the renewal of fall.
BONUS: Ink some of your favorite lines from the movie on parchment and frame for display near the hats. Extra bonus if you decorate the frame with Ivy and roses.
One of my favorite lines (and also free printable):Don't forget your free Halloween Printables! Click To Tweet
Who is more fun and freaky than the Sanderson sisters? Winifred, Sarah, and Mary make you think of spider webs, and aged dusty upholstery—the perfect opportunity to use up all those old fabric scraps and rolls of netting.
Memorable movie line:
This movie line available in a free printable from Kate at The Organized Dream.com.
There’s enough inspiration for witch hats to fill 7 books and 8 movies. Rita Skeeter’s purple quills, Professor Umbridge with her Pepto-pink roses and cat broches, and Professor McGonagall’s classic black silk. You should be able to find a use for almost every odd craft supply on this theme.
Memorable movie lines: There’s too many! There’s also so many beautiful and free Harry Potter printables, that it’s almost impossible to cover them all. Here are just a few that I love.
How I love the emerald green courtesy of the Wicked Witch—almost as much as I love Regina’s rhinestones and deep red hearts (even if she was holding them captive.) Speaking of hearts, they ran into the Queen of Hearts with her black and white checkerboard, and playing card soldiers. EEK! It’s all too much! There’s so much inspiration that it makes you giddy!
I wish that there were some more great printables for Once Upon a Time, but this lemony printable is terrific.
Even if you’ve never been one to go overboard on Halloween before, these witch hats offer enough inspiration that your family will wonder what spells you’re cooking up.
By the way, I’d love, love, love to see your creations! Post pics in the comments below! Can’t wait to see what you’ve done.
Friday Favorites Home Matters ; Feathered Nest Friday; Friday at the Fire Station; What to Do Weekends; Sweet Inspiration; Welcome Home Wednesdays; Best of the Weekend; Friendship Friday; Share It One More Time; Inspiration Monday; Sundays At Home; Friday Features; The Scoop Party; Project Inspired ; Show & Tell; Party in Your PJ’s; Tuesdays With A Twist; DIY Crafts & More; Sew It, Cook It, Craft It; Merry Monday; Sunday’s Best; Feature Me TFT Party, Pretty Pintastic Party; Terrific Tuesday